1950s All-Union exhibitions of Soviet Art
All-Union exhibitions of Soviet Art
The All-Union Art Exhibition dedicated to the 40th anniversary of the October Revolution was held from November 5, 1957 to March 16, 1958 in Moscow at the Central Exhibition Hall. Also, at the USSR Academy of Arts, in the House of Artists, in the exhibition hall of the USSR Union of Artists and in several other halls of the capital. The exhibition became the largest event of the year in contemporary Soviet and European fine arts.
Republican exhibition committees, composed of the most respected experts carried out the direct selection of works for the exhibition. In total, they selected over 5500 works for exhibiting and published an illustrated catalog of the exhibition.
In total, 2142 artists from all republics of the USSR took part in the exhibition. Noteworthy, most of the works were previously shown at city, regional and republican exhibitions of 1957. Many of them subsequently ended up in the collections of art museums, as well as acquired by the RSFSR Art Fund, domestic and foreign galleries and collectors.
Among the works represented by the scale and depth of the disclosure of images, the works dedicated to the history of the October Revolution and the formation of the Soviet state, as well as the appearance of a contemporary and socialist construction, stood out.
All-Union Art Exhibition of 1953-1954
At the All-Union Art Exhibition of 1953-1954, which opened in Moscow, the works of artists and sculptors revealed the full-blooded life of Soviet people, and their rich inner world. At the exhibition there were many portraits of women scientists, actresses, advanced workers and collective farmers, paintings telling about everyday life and
the work of Soviet women.