Soviet artist Nikolai Andreyevich Tyrsa 1887-1942
Soviet artist Nikolai Andreyevich Tyrsa (1887-1942) studied at the All Russian art school at the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, workshop of Léon Bakst (1905-1910). Then, in 1907-1910 in the school of drawing and painting of EN Zvantseva, in the etching workshop of V.V. Mate. Nikolai Tyrsa was a member of association of “Union of Youth”, “World of Art” (1915), the Union of Left trends in art (1922) and “Four Arts” (1926 – 1928). In addition, he worked in the Department of Fine Arts of the People’s Commissariat of Education (1918-1920). He was engaged in easel painting, book illustration (mostly for children) and easel graphics (drawings, lithographs), arts and crafts. Besides, he performed sheets for “Fighting Pencil” (1939).
In 1940-41 he worked with Soviet sculptor Vera Mukhina in the experimental shop of the Leningrad mirror factory, engaged in the design of glass products (decanters, glasses and vases). June 14, 1941 in the Russian Museum in Leningrad, opened the first and last lifetime personal exhibition of the artist.
January 29, 1942 seriously ill artist was evacuated from besieged Leningrad. Died February 10, 1942 in Vologda.
The works of Soviet artist Nikolai Andreyevich Tyrsa are in the State Tretyakov Gallery, the State Russian Museum, the State Museum of Fine Arts named after AS Pushkin, and museums in Tomsk, Tula, and Yerevan.
Soviet artist Nikolai Andreyevich Tyrsa