Soviet Decorative art
Originated in folk art, Soviet applied art flourished in the USSR, both in the midst of the people and among professional artists. Traditionally, every museum in every city had a permanent exhibition of unique works worthy of museums. In particular, porcelain and glass vases, ceramic and porcelain figurines and compositions. Also, textile art, popular and especially loved – tapestries and carpets, traditional elements of the Soviet interior.
Meanwhile, the craftsmen paid special attention to improving the artistic quality of mass household items. In the field of ceramics, many Soviet artists have successfully worked in Russia, Ukraine and Georgia.
Exhibitions of Soviet decorative art certainly included the best examples of art glass products, artistic carvings on the bone, embossing on the skin and jewelry.
A special place in the Soviet arts and crafts occupied the lacquer miniature, Palekh, Kholui and Mstera. In addition, embroidery and lacework. Also, the finest carved articles made of bone, an expressive small sculpture made of bone, horn, stone, etc., created by the Kholmogorsky, Tobolsk, Chukchi and other masters.
Category Archive: Soviet Art
Soviet Decorative art
Soviet Avant-garde artist Dmitry Krasnopevtsev
Born 2 June 1925 in Moscow, talented graphic artist Dmitry Krasnopevtsev was a representative of “unofficial” Soviet art. Besides, one of the most significant representatives of Soviet nonconformism of the second half of the twentieth century, and the Second Russian Avant-garde.
His first works date back to the post-war era, and the style that made Krasnopevtsev a truly original artist was formed by the early 1960s. Characterizing this style, critics use the term “metaphysical still life”.
He began his studying fine arts in 1942 in the Moscow Regional Art College in memory of 1905. However, in 1943, like many of his contemporaries, he had to to go to the front. After the WWII ended, he graduated from college. Then he worked as a drawing teacher in high school, and in the period from 1949 to 1955 he again studied, but already at the Moscow State Art Institute of VI Surikov.
Soviet artist Rudolf Nikolaevich Baranov
Born January 1, 1942 in the village of Khvostsovo, Vladimir region, Rudolf Nikolaevich Baranov is a Soviet Russian monumental artist, painter and teacher. Member of the Union of Artists of the RSFSR (1976).
First he received art education at the Palekh Art College of the lacquer miniature of Maxim Gorky (1959-1964). Here, his teachers were such Soviet artists as N. Zinoviev, B. Nemtinov, V. Astakhov and P. Korin. Next, studying at the Surikov Art Institute, he turned into a great master of painting with an individual creative handwriting. Merchant Samara, where he still works, Volga, family, people of intelligent work – this is the soil that feeds the creativity of Rudolph Nikolaevich.
In 1971 he graduated from the Faculty of Monumental Painting of the Moscow State Art Institute of Surikov (teacher KA Tutevol). Noteworthy, his first diploma he received from the hands of prominent Soviet artist Nikolai Tomsky for the painting “From the height of the port crane” (1974), which became a classic of Soviet art.
While still a student, he worked as an artist decorator in the theater of Vakhtangov.
Meanwhile, in 1971 he came to Samara. Repeatedly, he was a Chairman of the Board of the Samara Regional Organization of the USSR and Union of Artists of Russia (1981-1985, 1998-2010). In addition, he taught at the Kuibyshev Art School and the Art College of KS Petrov-Vodkin (Samara). Since 2006 – Professor of Samara State Architectural and Construction University.
Soviet Belarusian artist Leonid Dmitrievich Shchemelyov
Born February 5, 1923 in Vitebsk, Leonid Dmitrievich Shchemelyov turns 95 years old this year. He is one of the greatest masters of Belarusian fine arts, a teacher. People’s Artist of the BSSR (1983), Honored Artist of the BSSR, and laureate of the State Prize of the BSSR (1982).
Being a native of Vitebsk (1923), most of his life he lives in Minsk. In 1959 he graduated from the Belarusian State Theater and Art Institute, painting department. From that time up to now, Shchemelyov is a participant of almost all Belarusian republican exhibitions. Also, exhibitions of Soviet art in the USSR – RSFSR, Lithuania, Uzbekistan, Ukraine. Besides, his works appeared in the exhibitions of Soviet Belarusian artists abroad. In particular, in England, Austria, Algeria, Angola, Bulgaria, Hungary, the GDR, West Berlin, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Poland, France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Sri Lanka, Yugoslavia, and Japa.
Soviet artist Vasily Nikolayevich Yakovlev
Born on January 2 (14), 1893 in Moscow, Vasily Nikolayevich Yakovlev was a Soviet painter, People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1943) and Laureate of two Stalin Prizes (1943, 1949).
The boy grew up in a wealthy merchant family. Since 1911 he studied at the Physics and Mathematics Faculty of Moscow University, simultaneously visiting the art studio of VN Meshkov. Just before the Great October revolution, in 1917, he graduated from the Moscow University of painting, sculpture and architecture. In the university, his teachers were famous Russian artists Konstantin Korovin, AE Arkhipov, SV Malyutin, and others.
Vasily Yakovlev taught at VKhUTEMAS (1918-1922), at Moscow Institute of Arts (1934-1936), and Moscow State Institute of Architecture and Art named after VI Surikov (1948-1950). And in 1922 he became a member of Union of artists of Revolutionary Russia (AHRR).
After the great Patrotic war, in 1947 he became a full member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR. From 1926 to 1932 he worked as an artist-restorer in the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. Besides, since 1930 he was in charge of the restoration department. In addition, in 1938-1939 and 1949-1950 served as the main artist of the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition. Yakovlev proved his high official status with heroic portraits of the period of World War II. Also, the artist enthusiastically acted as a teacher. In particular, he taught since 1918 in the Free Art Studios, the Surikov Institute and other colleges.
Soviet Belarusian painter Eduard Belagurov
Born in Bobruisk, Belarus, USSR, Eduard Alexeyevich Belagurov was a Soviet painter, member of the USSR Union of Artists (1977). In 1974 he graduated from the department of monumental and decorative painting of the Belarusian State Theater and Art Institute. Currently, his works are in the National Art Museum of Belarus, Museum of Modern Art in Minsk, the funds of the Belarusian Union of Artists and the Ministry of Culture of Russia.
The artist has participated in the exhibitions of Soviet Art since 1975, awarded a diploma of the USSR Academy of Arts (1980). Meanwhile, already in the early works Eduard Belagurov manifested his civic position and the desire to raise actual problems of history and modernity in his art. He worked in easel painting in genres of figurative paintings and portraits. Among his major works: “Autumn cross” (1975), “Early Spring” (1976), “Conversation” (1982), “Dialogue” (1982), “Children of War”, “The Return”, “Surgeons. Operation” (the above image), and others.
Soviet artist Viktor Mikhailovich Oreshnikov
Born 20 January 1904 in Perm, Viktor Mikhailovich Oreshnikov – Soviet painter, teacher, and master of portrait. Candidate of Art History (1937), Corresponding member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1947) and Doctor of Art History (1948). Besides, he was the winner of the Stalin Prize of the third degree (1948) for the painting “VI Lenin at the exam at the Petersburg University” (1947). In addition, the winner of the Stalin Prize of the third degree (1950) for the painting “At the headquarters of the defense of Petrograd” (1949). Academician of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1954) and People’s Artist of the USSR (1969).
First, Oreshnikov received an art education in the Perm Art College (1924). Next, in 1927 he graduated from the Leningrad Higher Art and Technical Institute, and Academy of Arts (1933-1936). Noteworthy, his teachers were prominent Soviet masters Konstantin Petrov-Vodkin and I. I. Brodsky.